Sunday, December 5, 2010

Snake Charmer

Once upon a time I created a great dress to wear for Thanksgiving dinner. I'm making it a tradition. Introducing New Look 6000.










































The back is really not so messy looking as in this pic.






I left it unhemmed because I was pressed for time. The material is a crazy cool snakeskin I got at JoAnn back in the day. It has a high sheen layer over the pattern that adds to the reptilian feel. For the life of me I couldn't get the unpleated areas of the front to lay nice, so at times it looks like both sides are gathered. The cuffs and collar are done in a bodaciously bodied high sheen linenish blend.







The picture of the inside shows where I added darts above the bust and also the pattern's distinctive pleating on the side. I was all kool-aid-smiles when I stopped for coffee on the long ride home and the girl behind the counter said "That's a great dress!"
I was tempted to show her where I pinned my fingers together making it, but I just smiled like a fool and said "thanks".

3 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

It is a beautiful dress and you look fabu in it!

Uta said...

That is one of the greatest dresses I've seen on a sewing blog, and you look stunning in it!

Anonymous said...

Oh you must be sooooooo proud! I would love to get a complement on a dress I made! I would smile till my cheeks feel off!

You did good!!!!! You deserve the compliment!

Na