Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Dress: 002 (aka: Why I still love Pattern Review)

I've been crushing on this pattern for a looooong time:

The Vogue 2880 Bellville Sassoon misses dress. It has that Spanish-princessy thang that appeals to my undercover Rican-ness. Its sassy, yet sweet. And it looks flamin' good on that pattern envelope. I bought the pattern over a year ago and stashed it, waiting for an event that would give me enough lead-time to get it done.



Fast-forward to wedding obsession. I've been digging through the stash, trying to frankenpattern a dream dress. And there is 2880. Hmmmm. Maybe with the right fabric this could be a great wedding dress...



Enter Pattern Review. I checked out the reviews other people have posted on this dress. The word is that 2880 is tedious: a billion pattern pieces, time consuming, notions out the wazoo, tricky fabric. Ok, Ok. I can deal with all that. But it was the pictures.


Let me begin by saying this is in no way a reflection on those PR members who have clearly accomplished a great thing by creating this dress. While the dresses I saw in the review photos were beautiful and obviously well crafted, the fact is that the pattern envelope lies. The real-life dress on real-life bodies is, imho, waaaaay different than the sassy red number worn by the Angelina-esque model Vogue used on the pattern envelope. Sigh.



On the flipside, could you imagine if we didn't have PR? Thanks again, Deepika.

1 comment:

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I *always* check the PR database for photos of a garment actually made up. It is soooo helpful.